I love Harry Potter


In honor of the new Harry Potter movie coming out later this month, I thought I would write my blog post on how much I love the series as a whole. I started reading the Harry Potter series when I was pretty young, maybe in second or third grade, when reading about the dementors in Prisoner of Azkaban was still scary enough to give me nightmares. Even now, years later, the books still hold an aspect of magic (haha get it) to me that brings me back to them all the time.

Not only has Rowling created an incredibly vivid wizarding world, with schools and creatures and spells, she has woven a story of friendship into that world. Reading it as I’ve gotten older, I also appreciate the societal problems that she discusses in the books, like the problematic appearances of “pureblood” wizard superiority, and the violent, hateful actions of Voldemort and his followers. Although there is a lot of fantastical stuff in the wizarding world, the conflicts that Harry and his friends face, and their story of growing up, are relevant to our world today.

Whenever I read (or watch) Harry Potter, it feels like I’m coming home. For a long time in my family, it’s been tradition to marathon the whole movie series over winter break. Something I look forward to all year is being curled up on my couch with hot chocolate, listening to Hedwig’s tune start off the first movie. Because I grew up with the series, the movies have a very personal, nostalgic feel to me that I think I will love even when I’m much older.

The Harry Potter Universe has received so much love and support that they have expanded into new books, plays, and even amusement parks dedicated to the series. And I loved the Fantastic Beasts movie, and once again being transported into the wizarding world, but to me it didn’t hold the same special place in my heart as the original movies. I think what made the original storyline so special to me was growing up reading and watching it, so that it became an important part of my childhood.

Comments

  1. I find it really weird that you just posted this, because all of 12 hours ago I decided to start rereading Harry Potter (I'm halfway through Chamber of Secrets now - clearly this is more important than studying what do you mean?)

    Anyway dementors still give me nightmares so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the truest blog post I've ever read. Whenever I feel a little lost I always reread a Harry Potter book or rewatch some of the movies. Each book holds its own special feeling of home and the world as a whole is something very familiar but amazing, because it just keeps expanding. I agree that the new Fantastic Beasts movies don't hold as much of a special place in my heart because they don't have that nostalgia that comes with looking back at them. I remember going to see it when it came out though and the community in that theatre was all people who love Harry Potter and that was really cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I grew up with Harry Potter too but I'm reluctant to reread the books now because I've already done it so many times haha. You may have convinced me that I should go for it again, though. I still remember the first time I watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and I think the films, especially the earlier ones, still hold that same specialness. I haven't watched Fantastic Beasts yet because I'm afraid that it will mess with my nostalgic perceptions of the Harry Potter universe. Should I just get over myself and watch it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Harry Potter series was what really got me to love reading. I read a lot of the Magic Tree House books, and other short chapter books, but I was never so immersed in a series as the Harry Potter books. I think it showed me how powerful words on a piece of paper can be. The whole fake world of magic that Rowling created seemed so real to me. I totally relate to your feeling of "coming home" whenever you read or watch Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Harry Potter series single-handedly got me to transition from exclusively reading Garfield comics to learning to enjoy reading "real" books. I used to think reading was stupid and pointless because looking at the pictures in comic books was so much easier. I'm glad the Harry Potter series was able to open my mind and introduce me to a variety of other great books that I eventually grew to love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While the Harry Potter series isn't my absolute favorite series, it's what I remember the most. I think it's because the series is known by literally everyone (at least in the US). Particularly with the movies, the series is something everyone can enjoy, even parents and grandparents (and it's not something that's awkward to watch with them). Throughout the years, I have a similar tradition to yours, as my brothers and I will watch the first movie every year during winter break, and it's enjoyable every time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never really got into Harry Potter because I didn't like reading when I was younger, but I find the story line behind it very interesting and well put together. Your post made me really want to read the series just so I know what I was missing out on. I know that the series has been read by so many young minds and everyone seems to really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

life is a maze

Donut Lake